Normally I’d probably title this “Scenario Design Requirements”, but I’m taking another run at the A-Z Challenge so “Adventure Design Requirements” it is.
Some time ago a friend gave me a set of three “Character Design Requirements“. She was playing in a primarily ‘Supers’ game, but with only a small change the guidelines work with most roleplaying games.
All Player Characters (PCs) should…
- Have a way to get to the action.
- Have a way to be useful in the action.
- Have a way to stay in the action.
Just as the players have a responsibility to ensure their Player Characters can reasonably take part in an adventure, the adventure designer has a responsibility to ensure the same thing. The guidelines above can be restated for the adventure designer.
All adventures should…
- Have a way for PCs to get to the action.
- Have a way for PCs to be useful in the action.
- Have a way for PCs to stay in the action.
As with the character design requirements, the application of these guidelines is not required to be obvious.