I am so sorry. At least I kept it out of the post title.
Yesterday I created a basic adventure structure, ten nodes (places of interest, basically) all linked up. Now I need to put something in them.
- A graveyard with a large tree (icons: forest, NPC, weather, lore).
- A river (or long skinny lake) winding between mountains (icons: mountain, mountain, water, weather; danger, lore).
- A swamp near a break in a cliff (icons: swamp, NPC, ongoing event, weather).
- A great gate or door flanked by flaming torches (icons: castle, dungeon, NPC; lore).
- A swamp full of gnarly trees and little light (icons: swamp, feature, weather).
- A catacomb (icons: dungeon, dungeon, dungeon; danger).
- A cave full of pillars (icons: cave, oddities, ongoing event; lore).
- A town (icons: NPC, ongoing event, weather; reward).
- A watery cave with a waterfall just outside (icons: cave, water, water, weather).
- A view from within the forest toward a castle (icons: castle, forest, NPC, weather; danger).
Some of these already give me some ideas, but Scenes of Chance provides some useful little tables that can be used to expand on the meaning of the icons.
However, first I’ll attach some labels to the nodes in the diagram. The original diagram is below, for reference.
Now, I’ll assign the Scenes to the nodes. First in a table for clarity, then an updated diagram.
|A||Great Gate||Castle, Dungeon, NPC; Lore||This is the actual castle.|
|B||Forest/Castle||Castle, Forest, NPC, Weather; Danger||Leading up to the castle.|
|C||Mountain River||Mountain, Mountain, Water, Weather; Danger, Lore||River leads past castle.|
|D||Catacomb||Dungeon, Dungeon, Dungeon; Danger||Secret way from graveyard to castle.|
|E||Cave||Cave, Oddities, Ongoing Event; Lore||Caves outside town.|
|F||Dark Swamp||Swamp, Feature, Weather||Further downstream from the swamp; wetter, more shadowy.|
|G||Graveyard||Forest, NPC, Weather; Lore||Just outside town, near the forest.|
|H||Cave-Waterfall||Cave, Water, Water, Weather||Down by the sea, obviously.|
|I||Swamp||Swamp, NPC, Ongoing Event, Weather||Wetlands below the forest.|
|J||Town||NPC, Ongoing Event, Weather; Reward||Where the PCs start, a bit higher ground than the swamp but not on the river.|
I’m starting to get a feel for the geography. I found that some of the built-in links weren’t quite how I wanted them. For instance,
- J — C was okay, but I wanted the Forest/Castle node to link to a little bit more than it did originally;
- The original standalone nodes were better off used as alternate routes;
- It made more sense for the castle to be an endpoint than an intermediate point;
- I wanted the town to connect to a little bit more, and not being on the water seemed wrong so I linked it to the swamp (it’s not great water, but it’s something).
There were a few other little changes. The original graph is sometimes just a starting point. Also, the layout engine I use for the diagram moves things around a bit according to its layout rules. These rules usually lead to sensible outcomes.
The diagram below shows the links between the nodes, but isn’t arranged quite how I would expect it to look geographically… but that’s okay, I get to explain it all in the next post.