Originally labeled “Blatantly ripped off from a ripped off post“, Michael’s (Vulpinoid’s) post expands on the points below.
Game Design Principles
- Do not add a rule to take care of an unusual situation.
- Your scoring design is your game design.
- Avoid false strategy.
- Balance with incentives and costs, not with restrictions.
- Pay attention to the rules people forget.
- Removal is OK.
- Theme and art are very important.
- Understand how mathematics and probabilities affect game play.
- Try to make your mechanics reflect the theme.
Design Process Principles
- Never assume players will make smart decisions.
- Failures are successes too.
- Half of building should be breaking.
- Include a ‘fair’ setup.
- Graphics are meaningful.
- Know for whom you’re designing the game.